Scroll Top

Purdue Pharma Bankruptcy FAQ

Purdue Pharma Bankruptcy FAQ

If you know which pharmacy or pharmacies you used to fill your opioid prescription, start by getting these records. This may be all of evidence we need to prove your claim. If you are unable to get these records (or all of these records), then try requesting the records from your prescribing doctor or any of the other Types of documents that are considered acceptable (i.e. rehab records, hospitalization records, law enforcement records, legal proceeding documents, insurance explanation of benefits).

Please contact the facility directly and tell them you would like to request any medical records they have for you, and they will tell you what procedure to follow. Most facilities will ask you to complete a form asking you for specific identifying information.

If a facility does not have such a form, you can send a letter with your request which should include the following information:

• Your name
• Social Security number
• Date of birth
• Address and phone number
• Email address
• The list of records being requested
• The dates of service
• Delivery option (fax, post, email, in person)
• Signature


If you are confident on the dates that you went to or were treated at a particular facility or provider, you can ask for those dates specifically. If you are unsure of the dates, you can ask for a larger time frame (for example, if you remember you started going to a particular pharmacy in the beginning of 2016, and likely stopped later that year, you can ask for any and all records from January 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016).

If you don’t recall even the approximate date you can just request any and all records that facility might have for you.

If your doctor is deceased or retires, all medical records must still be maintained under the law. Under the law, the medical records should be transferred to another healthcare provider that agrees to accept the responsibility.

Similarly, if your doctor has left the practice but the practice is still operating, your records must be maintained by the remaining members. If the practice was sold, the new practice will be responsible for the maintenance of the records and be liable if the records are lost or mishandled.

If a doctor’s office was closed with no forwarding details, there are several things you can do:

• Contact your state or local medical society. Many of these organizations require annual registration, they will most likely have the latest contact information.

• Speak with your health insurance company. If the doctor is still an approved provider, your insurer will have contact details.

• Contact any hospital where your doctor made rounds. Hospitals require doctors to undergo a formal process to obtain hospital privileges. Human resource departments will usually have details on file.


If a facility no longer maintains copies of your records because they are too old, it is very important to request a written certificate of affidavit from the facility stating that the records no longer exist.

The length of time it takes to respond to a request for records varies per facility, but the typical delivery time is 30 to 60 days.

You may be required to pay for your medical records. The cost can depend on the delivery method (whether by fax, email, or on paper via the US postal service). However, the price must be reasonable.

Additionally, you are entitled to your records even if you have unpaid or outstanding medical bills owed to that facility.


If you are requesting records on behalf of a deceased claimant, you will likely be required to present a copy of the death certificate along with your records request. You may also be required to sign a document attesting to the fact that you are the proper party to request the records. When you contact the facility, be sure to tell them that you are requesting records on behalf of a deceased loved one and they will explain their procedure.

E-mail to [email protected] or

Fax to 504-608-1465 or

Send them to:

Purdue Claims
1519 Robert C. Blakes Sr. Drive
New Orleans, LA 70130